Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Post Partum/Post Op check up

This monday, April 15th, was my doctor's appointment for post partum/post op check up.

Doctor checked me on my incision, and she was quite surprised that it wasn't healing as well as she thought it would. She thinks I might have keloid skin, but I know for a fact I don't because if I had keloid skin, my tattoos would look really ugly.
She suggested that I put hydrocortisone cream on it, but since it really doesn't work well on my skin, I went for A+D cream. Why? Because I used that for my tattoos, and they are beautifully smooth.
I'm hoping my scar would eventually even and smooth out.

I've been putting it on now for three days and this is how it looks like.
The middle part seems to thin out and smooth out. the sides, especially the left, (my right) still looks really raw and open. I will continue to apply A+D cream and we'll see what will happen.
It has been feeling very pokey lately, and the doc said I need to still take it easy.

These are the doctor's orders: 
-NO working out until at least another month has passed
-NO sit ups, NO running, NO stretching, NO sex, basically nothing strenuous or cardiovascular or anything that involves the abdominal muscles for at least another month
-NO hot baths until at least another month
-WEAR a binder even if you're walking....

she also said my uterus hasn't really contracted back to my pelvic cavity like it's supposed to... which she said is common with c-section patients, she said it takes longer for c-section patients to have their uterus contract to normal size and position. She also said the incision on the uterus and the stitching inside is still healing so I need to take it easy. 

So I heard all this bad news and then she said: "on the bright side, you lost a lot of weight and you have virtually no baby fat left on your tummy! very flat already!" 
^_____^ thanks doc. these words are really encouraging, especially for me, because I really felt depressed about my post partum body. the doc probably saw hundreds of women with post partum bodies and if she said I look good and my tummy looks flat, yay for me :]

She also said I might have lochia, the discharge, for at least another few weeks. She said it's normal to have lochia for at least 6-12 weeks! I usually have no discharge but sometimes I have it when I'm breast feeding or sit on the toilet for a while to poop. That's probably because my uterus is still contracting... 

Then I had to do a little survey for my post partum depression: questions were like- 'it's been hard for me to laugh at funny things like watching a comedy show' 'i seem to cry for no reason' 'it feels like everyone around me isn't helping me' and then you have to rate it from scale of 1-5 from rarely to extremely and then they add the points up and if you pass a certain amount of points, I guess you have to be treated for your depression.... the doc hasn't called me yet so I guess I'm ok with the depression department...

She said I wouldn't have to come in until three months later for my pap smear, so I guess that means until July 15th, I just have to heal and hopefully get to my pre pregnancy body. It's funny because weight wise, I'm lighter than my pre pregnancy weight- I just look heavier and droopier... I need to firm and tone up my body.... So I will have to wait another month or so... I just have to remind myself that it's only been 32 days since I gave birth and it'll take time for me to bounce back.... I need to have patience and it'll be ok...

Breast feeding definitely helps with the calorie burning, but it's kind of counterproductive because I need to eat in order to keep my breasts full. I'm trying to eat low calorie foods, lots of veggies and fruits, but it hard to not eat a snack here and there... I know lots of places online say keep yourself hydrated and it'll help with milk production- well I tried that for a day where I'd drink tons of fluids and cut down a lot on my food intake.... NOT A LOT OF MILK PRODUCED... baby was fussy, and breasts did not get full as much.... so it's a catch22 with the weight loss. I guess I'll have to hold on that. 

So all in all, nothing major was wrong, and although I was discouraged coming back, I know it'll take time for me to heal. And I know I will. Anyway, I'm preoccupied with baby Derrick most of the time, so I don't even notice my body until I jump in the shower... Husband has been very supportive regarding my issues I have with my body, and it helps tremendously. But watching Baby Derrick always cheers me up :]

Oh and here is a video of baby D's poopy face! :]



Until the next post, keep us in your prayers!


No comments:

Post a Comment