Monday, November 26, 2012

My virgin Prenatal Massage experience

Holy mother of pure bliss. @_@
If I had to sum it up in one word it would be: AWESOME

Ever since my baby bump had popped out of nowhere, it really took a toll on my body especially my lower back, my hips, my neck and my shoulders. I'd been meaning to get the prenatal massage way before, but I've read on some sites that I should stay away from prenatal massages during first trimester, since I was high risk. My last OBGYN appointment (second trimester appointment) I asked my doc if I am safe to get prenatal massage, and she gave the green light, so as soon as I got the ok, I booked it. 

After an extensive research, I came across Urban Oasis. It's only 5 minute drive from our house, and it had the best prenatal massage reviews. 


Here is the lobby/waiting area. It was VERY RELAXING and WELCOMING and the staff members were so friendly, I was already unwinding.

They had me fill out some basic information sheet, and after I was done, I found a helpful brochure.
 

I had only waited about 5 minutes and my massage therapist came to greet me and take me to the massage room. Her name was Laurie. 

My room was dimly lit and looked really inviting. The bed was inclined at about 45 degree angle, and there were wedges for different parts of my body to relieve as much pressure as possible when I get my massage done. The bed itself was entirely of memory foam, like Tempurpedic mattress, and it felt SO nice laying on the bed. I did NOT want to get up.
So before we actually got to the massage part, Laurie explained thoroughly of what she will do, what she won't do, what is considered safe, and what is a no-no for pregnant women getting massages. She asked if I had specific areas that needed attention, (YES, my shoulders, lower back!) and she told me to take my time and let her know if the massage pressure was too much. 

Before I moved to Chicago, I always got full body massage every week, so I told Laurie, you can go as hard as you can, but she warned me now that I'm pregnant, even the slightest increase in circulation can be bad for the baby, so she said she'll work with me. 

Prenatal massages DO NOT include the massaging of the breasts, the abdomen, pelvic region, inner thighs, extensive hand or feet massages. Those areas are danger zones that can trigger complications. So if you go get a prenatal massage, make sure your therapist stays away from those areas. 

So the bed stayed like that when I was on my back. Then I flipped over on my tummy, it's been 6 months since I've been on my tummy and it felt SOOOO relaxing! But the bed transforms. I wish I was able to take a picture, but I was in the middle of my massage... The face rest of course goes in, then there is a hole where your baby bump fits in, (a cutout cushion comes out), but the belly doesn't just hang, there is another very soft bedding that 'catches' your belly so it doesn't hang mid air. Laurie asked if everything was ok and verbatim, "my belly fits snug as a bug! oh my goodness this feels awesome"

She also gave me soft towels to put on either side of my breast to relieve pressure that'll be on them once I fully lay down. And of course the massage was GREAT. She went from scalp to toe. AWESOME. 

Here are some of the sensations I felt while I was getting my massage: 1. Derrick kicked non-stop. I was relaxed and happy and so was he 2. I felt hungry 3. My boobs felt they were growing on their own and they felt very tender and slightly uncomfortable

The whole massage was a FULL hour. She did not skimp out on my minutes. Bless her soul. Then after, I was offered a rain shower, or steam shower, and since steam shower is no-no for pregnant women, I chose the rain shower. 





And THIS TOO was relaxing. I get my own private shower, and all the amenities. 
Then when you walk out of the shower, you're not cold since there is a heat lamp. MMMMMMM

And here I am happy as a clam and relaxed to the max. With Derrick of course =)

It was so great, I just booked my next appointment with them before I left. The original price was $100, but I mentioned Yelp deal and I got $25 off, and ended up paying only $75 =)

And there it is, my first prenatal massage appointment at 23 weeks and 2 days!
Derrick and I are super relaxed, and we cannot wait for our next appointment. 
We had a great day today, and please keep us in your prayers for the upcoming events this week!
More to come!









5 comments:

  1. The place looks amazing, Julie Kim! After hearing your story, I can tell, you clearly had a blast on your first Prenatal Massage. Prenatal stage is certainly a sensitive stage for a pregnant woman like you. I’m impressed, you really took the time to search the places that are known to have good review for prenatal massage.
    Gregg Mulherin

    ReplyDelete

  2. Another way to make sure a smooth recovery, freed from complications, is to strictly follow your doctor's instructions after surgery. S/he is that the best one to make a decision what's best for your body.
    prenatal massage west seattle

    ReplyDelete