Friday, February 22, 2013

Intra Uterine Growth Retardation

Which pretty much is fancy medical term for small baby...
Our baby Derrick is officially and medically pronounced underweight and growth has slowed down quite a bit. 
We went in for our regular OB visit and the doctor was worried for two reasons: 
I have not gained weight at all, and the baby seems to be in a weird position.
Last visit, which was two weeks ago at 33 weeks and 4 days, I have gained 4pounds, and the doc said I was doing well. 
Two weeks later, I went from 144.6 pounds to 144 pounds to date, at 35 weeks and 4 days. 
O....K.... so where did the 0.6 pounds go? And why haven't I gained any weight?
Then she measured my fundal height- normal 
My blood pressure- normal. 
She touched around my belly and said the baby is sitting weird- she would like to do an ultrasound. 
Sure.
Measured the head circumference, the abdominal circumference, and the thigh bone length to get baby Derrick's weight. 
And the weight is 4 pounds 14 ounces (4.75lbs) way below the norm. According to his gestational age, he should be at LEAST 5.25-5.78 pounds...
This baffled me and the husband because I've been on a crazy junk food binge, and we were so sure that we'd gained weight!
So she guesses that we have slight IUGR, the Intra Uterine Growth Retardation- this does not mean that there is anything wrong with his other developments, it just means he stopped gaining weight- she said in severe cases, the baby stops growing skeletally too, which we are not in danger of yet. So she wants me to eat and sleep and not move around. 
I've been doing that too, like it's my job. I eat, take a nap. Wake up, snack, nap, go to bathroom. That's my routine. 
Well. Another thing the ultrasound revealed is that baby Derrick is what fancy medical term refers to as "oblique breech"- basically he's lying diagonally instead of vertically. So his head is not down into my pelvis, but sort of on top of it to the right, and his legs are not right under my sternum but sort of into my left ribs. I knew he wasn't vertical for the past few weeks because every time I came out of the shower my tummy looked REALLY FUNKY. 
So she said we still have about 3.5 weeks until the due date, and if the baby doesn't seem to be changing position, we might have to do an elective c-section because: one of Derrick's arms is stuck towards my cervix, and the doctor fears if my water breaks, the pressure and the force of the water breaking might cause his arm to pop out, which might affect his growth later when he's born. OK that kinda freaked me out. 

SO- this OB visit was a bunch of terrifying news- well for my husband, the in laws and my parents. I am a bit concerned, but I have faith in myself and baby Derrick and of course God that everything will turn out fine in the end. 
My OB seemed sad she couldn't give us any facial ultrasound pictures of baby Derrick for us, but we didn't care :] we already know he's going to be beautiful. He just needs to get out of his skinny jeans and GAIN SOME WEIGHT!
Right after the visit, we went to a Korean BBQ place, grilled some meat, and I pigged out. I told Derrick he needs to take all the meat and get fat! Let's see if he's a good boy and listens to his mommy :]

And if it is in God's plan, whatever that may be, I hope for the best possible solution for baby Derrick and me, whether that is natural birth, or c-section. God is good and He will provide the best for both of us. 
The next OB appointment is in a week, and the doc gave me homework: GAIN AT LEAST 2 POUNDS. Man- I've never been given that kind of homework! 
Now it's time for me to go munch on some snack!

Until the next post, please keep us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment