Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Breastfeeding Class

The conclusion of the class was that you won't know what will work for you unless you have your baby in your arms, but you can learn certain techniques and know-hows to prepare yourself.

The Hold

The lactation nurse who conducted the class said how you hold the baby has a lot to do with how well the baby will latch on. Most women start with the Cradle Hold- the baby's head is supported by the nook of your one arm while the other wraps around the baby's body, tummy to tummy, where your tummy is aligned with baby's tummy. I call it the classic hold- the classic breastfeeding pose.
She, however, suggested the football hold, or the side hold, where the baby is held more to the side of the mom, like a football, and you have direct eye to eye contact with the baby. She also said this way is good for moms with twins, moms who had c-sections (which could potentially be me). Then there is the side lying pose, where you and the baby basically lie on your side, and let the baby feed. Ideal for night feedings, or right after a nap.
We all got to practice the holds with a dummy baby. Here she is.

The Milk 

We got to actually see different samples of the 'pre-milk': colostrom and 'mature milk' breast milk. It was fascinating to see that it was all different textures and color! Very interesting. The lactation nurse also believed in some of old wives remedies to make milk flow better- one of which I did not know. Take the big outer leaf of a chilled cabbage, put in into your bra, and wait about 10 minutes, or until the leaf begins to wilt a bit, and the milk will flow! She swears by it, she said it works- better than massaging it with hot water. She also showed us how to work the breast pump (my hospital uses medela... should've bought the medela. Ended up purchasing ameda, but they work the same way)
And she said " DON"T PUMP and STORE TOO MUCH AT ONCE!" she didn't want us to waste our breast milk...
She also suggested a diet plan for us to make healthy breast milk. Did not know I had to have three servings of dairy products each day! My lactose intolerance calls me to be creative... maybe I'll rent out Red Mango....

The Pacifiers

Nurse wasn't so keen on recommending the paci. She said try to stray away from them as much as possible. Her reason was it takes away from the babies getting used to mom's nipple. With bottle feedings, she said once a day is enough, maybe during night feedings. She said you could wean the baby off the breast milk whenever, but try to feed the baby breast milk exclusively up until 6 months. Hm. Some of my friends who have babies are already feeding their baby hard food and the baby is only 4 months. I guess I'll listen to the nurse.

Breastfeeding after C-Section

Nurse said that after recovery time, which is after 4 hours, mom can start breastfeeding right away. The dose of morphine and antibiotics that is prescribed is low, and it will not harm the baby. In case I end up getting a c-section, this was one of my biggest concerns. However, she said as long as the baby is willing, I can try.

I'm glad I went to the class- The lactation nurse, Teri, reassured us that when we deliver whether vaginal or c-section, she will be with us to help us breastfeed our babies. I'm so glad my hospital is so hands on, and they have so many resources!

Husband and I have another class to attend (only I went to the breastfeeding class) in two weeks, which is the newborn care class. Will update about that class too.
Until then, we have the OB appointment in 5 days, and hopefully, I gained enough weight for the doctor to tell me I"m doing a good job.
Eating is getting to be such a chore. I try to eat every 2-3 hours, but it's really difficult when you're not hungry. Nothing tastes good, and if I do end up eating I get full after couple bites. BUT- I eat for baby D and I really want him to gain weight.
He's still in the oblique breech position, I can feel his head resting on top of my right pelvic bone, and I get excruciating pain every time I try to move. I really pray he goes cephalic soon and his head goes down into my pelvic cavity.
We will also be monitoring Derrick's movements and heartbeat, through the fetal monitor during the visit, to make sure everything is ok.
I'm hoping to hear some good news next OB visit!

Until then, keep us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment