Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Week 14 news

We are officially in our second trimester!!
woohoo!
I can feel my abdomen getting tighter and harder, and I feel as if it is protruding out a bit, I will post belly pics soon. I have been guilty of laziness :]
Queasiness is still bothering me, but the actual vomiting has decreased significantly, so now I can at least eat a bit and keep it down. Hopefully I'll start gaining weight soon! (fingers crossed)
One bad news: DEAR HUSBAND HAS CAUGHT THE COLD. Our employees have been getting sick left and right and husband brought it home with him. :[
So what do we do?

Medication?
We have decided this pregnancy will be medication free pregnancy. I haven't taken anything besides prenatal vitamins to aid the growth of our little fufu, and I don't plan on taking any other meds. This also will include the time of labor and delivery, so no epidural. This poses a dilemma- what happens if I catch the cold my husband has, and I end up having a fever?
According to research, TYLENOL is ok for pregnant women to take as a fever reducer. Many doctors say that controlling fever is the most important when dealing with the common cold since it can be fatal to the baby. Body temperature of 102F or higher is lethal and therefore should be monitored. This is why many doctors don't recommend baths because the body temperature CAN go up this high if bath is prolonged or the water temperature is hot. 
HOWEVER, the husband and I feel strongly about taking medication, so even if I catch it, we will use home remedies to control the fever.

Flu shot?
Since the flu season IS approaching, and coincidentally, the husband has caught the cold, I thought, flu shot? But, that goes against our 'medication free' pregnancy policy, so I will not be taking it regardless. From my past experience with flu shot, I don't recommend it. I got EXTREMELY SICK THE DAY OF MY FLU SHOT, which lasted for a full week (last year), and I STILL caught the flu. Never will get flu shots, pregnant or not. Also, there have been many controversies over the safety of the flu shot for pregnant women. Some say it's the devil, some say it's the lifesaver, some say don't get it at all, some say get it but not at first trimester. The big debate seems to be about pregnant women who received the flu shot and producing autistic kids. I have read into it, and although I concur that mercury can affect the fetus, (mercury thought to be contained within the flu shot) I'm not convinced enough that the vaccination alone is solely responsible for babies born with autism. Also, many of the cases that women report with autistic babies say that they got their flu shots in their first trimester, knowingly or unknowingly, and I strongly believe that it is just as much of a responsibility of the mother as much as it is of the health care provider. Women who are not on birth control, who are sexually active, who have a CHANCE of becoming pregnant, should be aware that even flu shots CAN affect the development of the fetus. Speaking as a person who lost the first baby due to miscarriage in the first trimester, I will say that I wasn't really much informed how fragile pregnancy is the first trimester, and how every little thing I did to my body whether it's exhausting it too much, or eating unhealthy foods, or being around smokers, or not getting enough exercise, or not taking vitamins and really listening to my body, ALL THESE things can influence your pregnancy. After the miscarriage, I'm more aware, educated, and informed about my body and my pregnancy. 
And my personal decision of flu shots is, no. 

Home remedies?
YES! This is our way :] I haven't caught the cold yet, but that doesn't mean I won't. So the best way is  PREVENTION. The obvious hand washing is really hard to be religious about, but I have increased the number of times I wash my hands. I try not to touch my face as much, and have increased my fluid take even more. We have been drinking lemon tea with honey= hot water, half a lemon freshly squeezed into the water, honey, and citron tea. Husband is taking dayquil, but I'm just trying to eat as much as I can, especially fruits. My husband and I have not hugged or kissed, or touched hands, and been near each other since we found out he got sick, and we plan on keeping our distance until he is completely healed. I will purchase a mask to wear since some germs are airborne, and some people online even suggested wearing gloves since I might end up touching things with the germs. 
I'm continuously taking the prenatal vitamins, which will help, and I think the most important things is to keep a positive mindset that I won't get sick if I'm careful. I don't want to be a germaphobe, and I just have to be mindful of things I do. 


The poor husband now gets absolutely NO LOVE from me, as I have been bitchy all first trimester, and now we can't even be physically close. 
Well, no one told him to get sick, and we both don't want any harm for our little fufu, so we just need to suck it up. Plus, I get my space :]

Please pray for a speedy recovery for my husband, and for me and the little fufu!

No comments:

Post a Comment