Thursday, March 28, 2013

Derrick's Birth Story Part 2- The Journey Home

Oh room 217. The room I had to stay in for 3 nights and 4 days. The nurses were great and so were the hospital staff, but man, by day 2 I wanted to go home. 

Recovery: EVERYTHING hurts, EVERYTHING, and on top of that they bring the baby to you to breastfeed. I see other moms in other rooms doing fine since they delivered vaginally. ME- I'm dying; I"m crawling usually. I didn't even have my catheter for my urine taken out until day 2. I'm bloated, I feel heavy, I feel groggy and drowsy from the meds. I'm still not eating the day of the surgery. 
So March17th- NO FOOD and they bring the baby to breastfeed. Still everything is so surreal

March 18th Day2- fluid only diet. omg. when can I eat real food?at least I can drink fluids. GULPING everything down. After 3 full days of starving, since my water broke, anything tastes good.

OW my incision hurts, and since they had to push aside all the organs to get to my uterus to take baby D out, I feel like I've been punched inside out severely. I look and feel gross.... and they bring the baby to nurse with me. I'm producing colostrom ok, but I need to be producing real milk for baby D to eat. 
At the end of Day2 they run bilirubin test on baby D. The numbers were too high from the first 2. Mommy isn't producing enough milk, they say, so we need to supplement with formula. OK. 

Day 3 March 19th- Catheter comes out, I need to pee on my own and pass gas on my own. I'm on soft food diet, thank God, but still, it's not like real food. They said I can shower too! Ok. Getting in and out of bed to do stuff was extremely difficult. Who knew your abdominal muscles were used for pretty much everything? My wrist and arms are shot from all the weight I put on it. Meanwhile, husband has been sleeping over in the little corner with the recliner. He has not been sleeping well. And since they've brought the baby to us to stay and only take him when they need to run tests, we need to take care of him. Since I'm kind of stuck to the bed, hubby has been helping nonstop. 

Had to pee but I had to breastfeed baby D so I held my pee and breastfed him. BAD IDEA. Felt like my bladder was rupturing and my insides were burning with pain and I couldn't even get up fast to go to the bathroom which was literally 2 feet away. Seemed like 2 miles. peed, cried, asked for meds, passed out.... 

They tell me to get up and try to walk. ok. it makes me sweat. I'm crying with pain. no they said walking will help you get better. OMG walking is so painful. 

I take a shower with the help of my mother- and it feels good, but it hurts to take a shower. I couldn't look in the mirror, I wasn't ready to see my scar. Then I turned around and saw it by mistake. It was horrendous, I started crying..

Husband comes back from the store. Told him about it. Cried again. My body will never be the same. Everything still hurts so much. 

PASSED GAS FINALLLY!

Day 4. They want me to poop. I can't poop. I haven't eaten anything solid... Today I'm on hard food... They give me prune juice, warmed up. I take it. In about half and hour I take the most painful and possibly the biggest dump I have in my life. Baby D's bilirubin results came out real bad so we have to leave him at the hospital for phototherapy for God knows how long and I get discharged tonight. Hubby and I are upset. 

Day 4 March 20th, home at last without baby D. We tried to get some sleep but I'm in so much pain still and hubby can't sleep since Derrick isn't home with us. 
Day 5 We go see baby Derrick the next day with my breast milk pumped. March 21. Poor little thing.  Still high levels. Still phototherapy needed. We need to leave him again, still can't get much sleep. 

Day 6 Baby Derrick can come home to us! In laws will stop by to see Derrick home. We come home with Derrick and the in laws don't even ask me if I"m ok they go straight to the nursery with the husband. My mom and I are left alone- I feel so sad that I start crying. I'm upset- no one cares about the mom, only the baby it seems. The husband also seems like he cares only about the baby. I feel all alone. I'm so depressed. I cry. 

BABY DERRICK IS HOME AT LAST!

Stay tuned for Derrick's adventures at home :]
Please keep us in your prayers- especially me; I'm physically worn down and still healing, emotionally unstable, and mentally burdened. Also please pray for the husband and me as we are now parents and we have so many conflicting views on parenting; and on our marriage, as it seems to be so focused on who's right in raising the baby in what way. It's because we both want to be involved, which is great, but also we need to come to a happy medium. 
Please pray for my mom, who is having a difficult time physically, who has come to help me and the husband, and is risking her own health in doing so. 



No comments:

Post a Comment